Need a geek for a moment... *$@!!@* Windows!! *growl*

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Need a geek for a moment... *$@!!@* Windows!! *growl*

Post by Baakay »

Ok...

I have this nice puter. It has a nice DVD player in it. I just got a nice upgrade of WinDVD just specifically because it will let me watch most things nicely on my nice wide flat screen monitor.

And since I don't see at a distance very well, this is a highly preferred method of watching anime. I like it up close and personal, if I have a choice, and particularly if I'm looking for a particular detail.

Older DVDs? No problem.

Crappy ancient Real Media files? Any other kind of fansub, quicktime clip or other stupidity from the Web? No problem.

The legitimately purchased, recent vintage DVDs that I REALLY wanted to look at? THE STINKING MACHINE WON'T EVEN RECOGNIZE THAT A DISC IS IN THE DRIVE!!! :tongue :redhot

Now. I know perfectly well it's the Windows Digital Rights Management thing, but dammitall, I bought the rights to look at that set of discs (at quite a good price, I might add) and if they're selling me the operating system on a machine with a DVD drive I ought to darn well be able to watch the discs here.

and at last, I come to my point:

Does anyone know how to turn it OFF? Is there ANY way around this issue?

What totally frosts my cookies about this is that I'm attempting to do something perfectly reasonable with equipment, software and discs that I have legitimately acquired and legitimately paid for, and they're making it impossible.

Doesn't exactly support the cause of spending money on legit releases, now, does it. Grump.
"The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality."
James A. Michener, The Drifters
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

There are many ways but not all are the same.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

Cloud wrote:There are many ways but not all are the same.
That's ok, all I need is one.
"The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality."
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

I remembered that I had similar problems before but I do not remember how I fixed it nor I even tried to fix it :P :P (I might just gave up :P :P)

I think you can turn it off if you turn the power off :P :P SO I think I just turned my computer off.......

I hope it ganna be nice to you :)
Cats rule!
morgan
Kamisama - God

Post by morgan »

Baakay wrote:
Cloud wrote:There are many ways but not all are the same.
That's ok, all I need is one.

Do you know what kind of dvd drive you have? I know I have a really nice computer but it has a Matsu*shit*a UJ-811 drive - now everything was going ok but somewhere when I updated my video software the driver for this thing won't recognize anything anymore. And low and behold panasonic (maker of matsushita) doesn't support it or supply drivers for it - they basically dissavow all knowlege of the leper drive.

Anyway, I guess thats a round about way of suggesting you check what drive you have and possible update the drivers on it, maybe then it will recognize the media with the new player - it might just need a patch.
morgan
Kamisama - God

Post by morgan »

here's an easy way to auto update your dirver...

Right click on My Computer
go to manage
go to device manager (left column)
click on cd/dvd drive (right column)
double click the drive when it show as a subset of dc/dvd drive
a box opens, click the driver tab
click update driver

good luck!
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I just don't understand.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
morgan
Kamisama - God

Post by morgan »

Cloud wrote:I just don't understand.

Doh! I made it as easy as I could cloud!
zerospace
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by zerospace »

Yeppers.. morgan is likely correct... probably has sumptin' to do with the drive you have and less likely Windows and their evil DRM software. :wink: Let us know how you do if you try updating your drivers, though my gut is tellin' me that's not gonna fix it, but ya never know. I'd say try for a firmware update but that's risky.
SilentBidder
Anime Geek

Post by SilentBidder »

Okay, I'm going to ask a silly question but....

Have you verified that the DVD's you're trying to read are actually readable? Put them into your regular DVD player (not your computer DVD drive) and make sure it can actually play it, that way you KNOW it's an issue with your drive and/or your computer.

Assuming that your DVD player can read it, have you tried playing it with another DVD software, as opposed to WinDVD? Try Windows Media Player, since you have WinDVD installed, the Codex DLL's should be registered.

Also, are you sure this is a DVD encoded as a "normal" DVD, as opposed to DivX, MPG3, or some other format?
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

SilentBidder wrote:Okay, I'm going to ask a silly question but....

Have you verified that the DVD's you're trying to read are actually readable? Put them into your regular DVD player (not your computer DVD drive) and make sure it can actually play it, that way you KNOW it's an issue with your drive and/or your computer.

Assuming that your DVD player can read it, have you tried playing it with another DVD software, as opposed to WinDVD? Try Windows Media Player, since you have WinDVD installed, the Codex DLL's should be registered.

Also, are you sure this is a DVD encoded as a "normal" DVD, as opposed to DivX, MPG3, or some other format?
Yep, all good questions. Windows media player, nada. The utterly astonishing VLC media player that will even bore its way through slightly corrupted files that croak all of the other players? nada. DivX player? nope.

Yet, interestingly enough, the discs play beautifully on the Spouzal Unit's Linux machine. :P And we did verify that older dvds play fine. These play perfectly well on the dedicated DVD player too, so it's not as though I can't watch them at all -- but I really have a hard time from a distance these days.

*weep*

I will try the drivers business, though... thanks for suggesting that, everyone!

I could have sworn that somewhere I read a cure for this, but I may be thinking of the "howcome I can't make a screencap anymore" problem.

Ah well. if I comes down to it I *will* tear the stupid machine apart and make it run on Linux! Where's that shakefist emoticon of Uende's? :D