help the troops in Iraq -- anime/rpg style

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
morgan
Kamisama - God

help the troops in Iraq -- anime/rpg style

Post by morgan »

Here is a post I found that I think presents a great opportunity to help the troops in Iraq. Please post it on any other appropriate boards you might frequent - I know I have a lot of stuff laying around to donate! :)

When President Bush ordered troops to Iraq, he probably never imagined that he would be ultimately be responsible for what very well could be the very first D&D convention/game day ever held in a war zone. Ziggurat Con, being held June 9 from 1200 to 2100 hours at Camp Adder/Tallil Airbase, is open to all allied military personnel and civilian contractors in Iraq.

KBR and MWR (the army’s Morale Welfare & Recreation Department) have graciously allowed service members to use part of the Community Activity Center to hold the Game Day. The Ping Pong room will be set up for RPGs (Role-Playing Games, not to be confused with the rocket propelled grenades which share the same acronym), and the DVD Movie room will be playing Anime Movies all day in support of the event.

The largest problem with running a Con in Iraq, of course, is that there are no local stores or game publishers, and few game books on the post. Even dice are in short supply, with many soldiers breaking the unwritten taboo held by many gamers and sharing dice. Thankfully, many game publishers have also lent their support, and have agreed to supply game products to help the Con along. aethereal FORGE, Sovereign Press, Final Redoubt Press, Goodman Games, Paizo Publishing and Steve Jackson Games are among those that have thrown in their support for the convention. But Amberson indicated that the soldiers could definitely use more.

"This convention is currently in drastic need of prizes and giveaways for the troops," he said. "Everything donated will go directly to the troops, or to MWR to use as loaner books for the soldiers."

For more information, contact SPC David Amberson at the following address: david.amberson (at) iraq.centcom.mil

Donations can also be sent to SPC Amberson directly at the following address:

SPC David Amberson
A Co 86th Sig Bn
APO, AE 09331

They’re planning to run the following games (and will be happy to get additional games):
Babylon 5 RPG, Cyberpunk 2020, D&D, D&D RPGA, GURPS, Historic Miniatures Battles, Magic Tournament, MechWarrior Miniatures, Rifts, Shadowrun, Starship Troopers, White Wolf System-Vampire, White Wolf System-Werewolf, XCrawl

Got any game books crowding your shelves that you never use? Here's a great cause to donate them to. Spread the word.

We would love anything we can get. We do have a White Wolf game here, but not much in the line of books, mostly the older editions. We will have a small LARP game that we are trying to get permission to have happen at the Ziggurat for which the con is named (A LARP at a historical site that has been around since Biblical times - WOW). Gamer related material would be absolutely awesome!! It takes 2 weeks or less when shipping Priority, so you still have time.

My address is as follows:
SPC David Amberson
A Co 86th Sig Bn
APO, AE 09331

Thank you so much for your support,
Dave
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Who do you want me to tell it to?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
morgan
Kamisama - God

Post by morgan »

sure cloud, pass it on to all your bot friends too!
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Wow, that's some amazing dedication. At least their spirits are high and this is a fun, safe pastime for them to enjoy. Thanks for sharing morgan.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
Not Sir Phobos
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by Not Sir Phobos »

Oh my god this is amazing!!

I'll let my local comic book store know, maybe they can help.
God's in his heaven, All's right with the world
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

That is very cool. I wanna play... don't really want to be There though.

I just heard from a friend in Germany who is going to Iraq for 6 months (not the same base though). I already told him that he can count on me for any dvds he might want to help pass the (off-duty) time.

In the communications field, I meet a lot of us "dorks". I'm glad they got some base support for their hobbies.