Steve Irwin "Crocodile Hunter" R.I.P.

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I just heard updated information from the radio concerning "Reggie the Alligator".

Back in August 2005, someone went and released a pet alligator into a local park lake here in the Los Angeles region. News concerning him can be found on one of our local paper's website here (The Daily Breeze):
http://www.dailybreeze.com/hottopics/1689546.html

Reggie's blog site:
http://www.savereggie.blogspot.com/

Several alligator wranglers were flown out here in order to try to catch the elusive animal. None of them had success catching him. Each attempt made Reggie more clever in terms of hiding from the public.

Steve Irwin told our city council people that he wanted to take a shot at catching the alligator (he repeated the statement during a Tonight Show appearance). The city had already spent $155,000 trying to catch the alligator. Everyone was happy and was looking forward to seeing him and watching his attempt. But Steve said that he wanted Reggie left alone for awhile so that Reggie would become more relaxed.

On the radio today, one of our city council people Janice Hahn said that she had arranged Qantas for fly Steve Irwin and his alligator traps in for free. She said that they weren't sure what they would do now with his passing. :l

So there you have it. Reggie is still on the loose.
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Here are some interesting and ironic things about Steve from his IMDB page(and no, these were not just added. It takes several weeks to get updates added to that site)

"If something ever happens to me, people are gonna be like 'we knew a croc would get him!'"

He tells his camera crew to always be filming. If he needs help, he will ask for it. Even if he is eaten by a shark or croc, the main thing he wants is that it be filmed. If he died, he would be sad if no one got it on tape.

Dispite all his close calls with animals, he has only had muscle surgery on his knee.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

blueheaven wrote:Here are some interesting and ironic things about Steve from his IMDB page(and no, these were not just added. It takes several weeks to get updates added to that site)

"If something ever happens to me, people are gonna be like 'we knew a croc would get him!'"

He tells his camera crew to always be filming. If he needs help, he will ask for it. Even if he is eaten by a shark or croc, the main thing he wants is that it be filmed. If he died, he would be sad if no one got it on tape.

Dispite all his close calls with animals, he has only had muscle surgery on his knee.
That's pretty damn amazing. I'd want the same exact thing.
He was definitely one cool guy.

As NSP mentioned, the way he died was incredibly manly and brave.
He didn't die of a drug overdose or from drunk driving. He went out like
the brave, dedicated individual he was in life. It's sad, no doubt, but
at least his legacy is untainted. Which is not something you can really
say about very many celebrities or persons of notable fame. I imagine
there will be some foundations or something established in his memory.
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

Like BH and Gabe mention, his death in this fashion is no surprise, the biggest shock I've had is reading about how everyone here is so sad- truely.

Before the fatal incident I just imagine him saying "now let's see how this 'ray likes it when I stick my finger up it's a***".

Posting the various jokes that have been circulating would be in bad taste since most people are in mourning, but I think we should laugh at death. You can laugh about me when I die, I won't come back to haunt you ;)
kittens
Koneko no kenshi

Post by kittens »

Krafty wrote: Posting the various jokes that have been circulating would be in bad taste since most people are in mourning, but I think we should laugh at death. You can laugh about me when I die, I won't come back to haunt you ;)
You got my hubby's sense of humor (or sense :) )
Cats rule!
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

:-) No I don't think I can do laugh about me when I die I will not come back to haunt you smile[quote]

You got my hubby's sense of humor or sense.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Krafty wrote:Like BH and Gabe mention, his death in this fashion is no surprise, the biggest shock I've had is reading about how everyone here is so sad- truely.

Before the fatal incident I just imagine him saying "now let's see how this 'ray likes it when I stick my finger up it's a***".

Posting the various jokes that have been circulating would be in bad taste since most people are in mourning, but I think we should laugh at death. You can laugh about me when I die, I won't come back to haunt you ;)
I agree to a point. I was not surprised by his passing given his penchant for puting himself in dangerous situations with animals. But I still feel bad because a son will grow up not having known his father, and his daughter will have very few memories of him. I can find humor in death, especially when it is somewhat courted like this. But there are still people who will miss him greatly and that is sad.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
Ronin
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ronin »

I heard it on the news when I was on holiday and it really is sad, but the statement below is definitely true.

I mean at the end of the day no-one is surprised, but he died doing what he loved, which is what matters. He put his life on the line during most encounters with animals for entertainment and for his love and passion for animals.

My thoughts go out to him and his family. His shows and efforts for the environment will be sorely missed. It’s a big shame!

Elfstalker wrote:I just heard! And on my birthday too! :(

He was doing what he loved best until the day he died; which he probably would've wanted it that way.

His shows will be missed. :l
Baakay
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Baakay »

I've been very down about this all week, as we here on the flatlands have enjoyed him since he first hit the air here. And I remember that interview with him saying (in a crotchedy little old lady voice) "we knew a croc'd get him!" :)

As I said in some other spots ... what bothers me most about losing Steve is that he was five years younger than me (and Glorff! hahah, thought I forgot, didn't you?). And he accomplished SO much more than I could dream of.

Why is it so often the people with talent, or the truly good people, who die young. And leave us with some of the worst scum of the earth hanging around forever. :(
"The permanent temptation of life is to confuse dreams with reality. The permanent defeat of life comes when dreams are surrendered to reality."
James A. Michener, The Drifters
SME
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by SME »

Baakay wrote:Why is it so often the people with talent, or the truly good people, who die young. And leave us with some of the worst scum of the earth hanging around forever. :(
I've been wondering that question too. It seems that most of the really good people die young, and it's such a shame. :( Why do those that do nothing but cause trouble for society have such long lives? Ugh...

And yes, even if I've never met him, I do mourn for Steve's death. I loved watching his shows (and movie!) and while he did put himself at risk for what he was doing, it was still a shame to lose someone who has touched so many lives.
  • "If us girls can't be strong, then we can't protect the boys we love." - Naoko Takeuchi
  • "Anyone who sees me has a date with his maker." - Shinigami
  • "WHAT!??! Men in pink!? How bizarre!" - Vegeta
  • This message has been approved by Welcome Consumer...got questions? She's got answers. :P