Which would you choose?: Internet vs. Cellphones

Talk about anything you'd like! Play games, tell jokes, and share your life.

If you had to choose between the internet and your cell phone, which would you choose?

The internet, baby
96%
My cellphone *snuggles*
4%
I hate technology
No votes

Total votes: 51

Ronin
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ronin »

Do you even have a mobile phone Cloud?? lol

But indeed Cloud, the Internet is very cool!
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

That's an interesting question I don't hear everyday: Do I have a mobile phone you. I have a lot of friends on the Internet.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Ronin
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ronin »

You never know, how does he contact his robot friends when he's meeting them out? lol
Ronin
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ronin »

So that's how they do it!! May have to get one of those myself! :P
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

What if I said have to get one of those myself can?
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

Ronin wrote:I-phone 2 anyone?? I think the I-phone has proved that you can have both the Internet and your mobile phone on the move. But the Internet will never replace your mobile phone in the foreseeable future as you were arguing before.
Honestly, (again just my opinion) I think that if the majority of users of the iphone use it as a mobile computer to access the web and for typed communications, as well as watch/listen to multimedia files, then that is what it is. A mobile computer with the capability for voice communications.

As the poll on this thread shows, people are more attached to the internet than their phones.
Ronin wrote:Yes, the N800 is a great Internet device, but it will hardly replace a mobile phone and has never been widely available in the UK at all, due to lack of interest. You can use it for Skype, but if you want something to communicate verbally on, then you may as well get a Skype mobile phone, so you can use it to call Skype phones and mobile phones. I know someone who has an N800, but uses a mobile phone as well, it's certainly no replacement to a mobile phone...lol. It's a portable laptop, that's it....it's not a mobile phone.
Well I am not one of those tech savvy people who always needs the latest thing. So I am someone who will continue to use a cell phone. Heck, my phone doesn't even have a camera on it. But I think that cell phones will be like land-line/home phones eventually.
Ronin wrote:On talk of mobile internet, the new webooks have become quite popular over here in the UK, basically smaller laptops without the extra stuff like CD drivers, just the functionality to browse the internet and word process, which is set to become the in-tool for kids at school. Looks quite promising for those who wish to fully web-browse on the move on the internet.
That sounds pretty damn cool. I want one! It would be nice for the classes that I'm taking now.
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

Why not get a second line?
-I, Robot (Asimov)
miz ducky
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by miz ducky »

Because I don't need one, and I have more important things to spend my money on.
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

miz ducky wrote:Honestly, (again just my opinion) I think that if the majority of users of the iphone use it as a mobile computer to access the web and for typed communications, as well as watch/listen to multimedia files, then that is what it is. A mobile computer with the capability for voice communications.

Because I don't need one, and I have more important things to spend my money on.
Yep! I think that is the reason that Iphones and other pre-Minicomputers aren't as widespread!

As soon as they get into the $100 price range then they will start replacing the Razors etc. and before you know it small phones like Razors won't be stylish anymore. Image
Ronin
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ronin »

miz ducky wrote: Honestly, (again just my opinion) I think that if the majority of users of the iphone use it as a mobile computer to access the web and for typed communications, as well as watch/listen to multimedia files, then that is what it is. A mobile computer with the capability for voice communications.
You'd be surprised. The original iTouch still had the Safari function (internet browsing) via wi fi, but never kicked up as big a storm as the iPhone did, as it simply didn't have the phone functionality. It's funny, in this day and age everyone (well nearly everyone) wants something with everything and they want the practicality that their one device will do everything, if they want to go out, they don't want to carry another camera around, just like why the N800 never kicked off I guess and why the iPhone was such a success. People want something that covers everything.
miz ducky wrote: As the poll on this thread shows, people are more attached to the internet than their phones.
I personally think this is only the case as we're on an Internet forum where a lot of the users base their lives online and also have a lot of friends online. I can think of 100s of my friends who rarely go on the computer and use their phones to organise and communicate with their friends. I've read a lot of polls and articles about if people were locked outside their house or were on a desert island and they could only bring one thing, it'd be a mobile phone.

As much as I love the Internet (and lets face it, I couldn't live without it!) I chose my mobile, as most of my friends use mobiles so thats's how I keep in contact with them and arrange things. The Internet is better, there's no disputing that but for every day practicality (for my life), then I'd have to choose a mobile phone.

RoboFlonne wrote:
Yep! I think that is the reason that Iphones and other pre-Minicomputers aren't as widespread!

As soon as they get into the $100 price range then they will start replacing the Razors etc. and before you know it small phones like Razors won't be stylish anymore.
It's funny, cause Rzrs aren't stylish anymore they're about 5 years old (well over here) and with the technology moving as fast as it is, they quickly become obsolete.

I'm pretty sure a lot of you guys (in the US) have to pay for your phones whether you're on contract or not (am I right to presume that? -Well it's what I've heard). Where as anyone on contract over here gets a free phone pretty much every 12 months, so it's easy for us to keep up to date with the latest phone technology.

The mobile phone industry is huge and continues to grow as the demand is there. The amount of new phones that are released are in the 100s per year, where as we see little development on internet tablets if at all.

But yeah, it’ll be interesting to see in the future where it goes in terms of the internet side of things, if they can tweak VOIP options it could perhaps be the future.