Anime-Beta Projects/Events - Survey/Topic- Topic Rename ^_^

Show off your stuff!
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Anime-Beta Projects/Events - Survey/Topic- Topic Rename ^_^

Post by Jadeduo »

Hi All!!

Sorry about the poorly worded subject, could not fit what I wanted to say on it. So here is the deal while Rubberslug is not the busiest of places someone is updating there at least something once a day! So people are collecting but why is is so quiet here?!? I've been lurking around the last couple of months. It's surprising how quiet it is. Well... Unless you are selling something.

So I was thinking May just started and them come the golden months of summer when a lot of us have more free time. I was thinking we should drum up some ideas now and maybe put together something fun, get connected, create some noise!!

So here are some ideas I had feel free to shoot them down as you see fit and feel free to add to the conversation!!

1. Anime-beta Skype party! Show off our lovelies and get to know our fellow collectors this could be super fun and because we are all over the country, could help with our sense of community.

2. Rubberslug feedback, this might not be feasible because I heard rubberslug has been having some issues with the feedback function. We break up rubberslug by gallery tags/name something and go through each gallery and give feedback, asking if they are still collecting, if they know about beta, etc.

3. Bring back some annual events! Cel contests, gallery feedback, etc...

4. Something I have wanted to do for myself for years, I know that provenance is not a huge thing for cel collectors but I have wanted to do something about it for years. In the art world, in general it is know which museum has which famous pieces, the general price the piece went for and it's actual state of repair. I want to put together a project that identifies by series who has what and where it is. A great example of this http://jadeduo.rubberslug.com/gallery/i ... mID=372667 or Sensei with the research he did to identify all the scene cels... http://sensei.rubberslug.com/gallery/in ... mID=248107. By doing this I know that the in the first example there is only one more Mikael in that sequence in the world. It can help with keeping out fraud and identification by episode. Everyone is an expert in one anime they collect can identify a character or episode with one look. Originally was thinking of breaking it up by season/then episode.

5. Cel convention this might be something a little further down the line, but maybe we should talk about it!

6. Cel collecting guide for beginners everything from preservation to resources for eppy id. We have the forum search and there are a few great ones that just kind of scratch the surface. We should collate the 10+ Years of knowledge in this forum for newbies.

These are my thoughts! Ideas? Thoughts? Post!!

Jadeduo
:jump
Last edited by Jadeduo on Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Punkxprince
Juuyaku - Executive

Re: Bored now... Something to do, let's make some noise!!

Post by Punkxprince »

Hey! I would totally be interested in doing any of those things as well. I have only been collecting just under a year now, so I haven't been around for any cel contests or other events and I don't really know too many people on here. About the only interaction I've had with people in the cel community is through buying cels from their collections. So, I think it would be a great idea to do something new together or just revive the annual cel contest or something.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Sweet!

A volunteer! And a newbie ^_^. *Runs off to look at gallery... Poked head back in at beta.*. Anyone else want to weigh in?!??

Jadeduo
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

The summer is probably the worst time of the year for me to get on board any of these projects. It's peak convention season for me, and the time of year when, collection-wise, I'm the most active. In May , I'm heading to two conventions, there's AX in July, followed by (possibly) J-Pop festival, Japan Expo USA in August. I know I attend more conventions than most people on this board, but it just seems like the summer months are the worst possible time for any of this for me. September and October would be much better, especially for projects like "feedback" where you need to invest a good chunk of time.

I'd be up for more meet-ups at cons. I keep hoping to attend the AX one again, but since it's usually happening the same night as a concert, I opt out and attend the performance. But for the most part, I spend most of my time at cons with other collectors. We're all in the same line together, waiting for some Japanese guest, and we just chat about art, anime and whatever else our bored minds can come up with. So, in a sense, even though it's 'unofficial', we do have meet ups. And we're always looking for more people who want to spend four hours of their life in line in the hope of getting something.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

I've also been very inactive on the cel front lately, at least online. April I started a new job that's keeping me quite busy as well as other creative things I'm doing in a gaming fandom: Drakengard. I'm doing a lot of translation work and other things for my fan site, so I really haven't done anything with my cel page in a while... I'd love to participate in something with everybody here, but I can't guarantee how much time I'll have to do it, since my other stuff has to come first. Sorry!! :O
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Sorry for not getting back to you guys earlier had my parents over for dinner last night I will be checking the forum throughout the day sporadically!

Cutiebunny:

It's great that you can go to so many conventions and that you have that network , my point of the post was to ask what everyone thought would be something they would like to work on or even be involved in at a later date. I know that everyone is free at different times of the year but since May is before summer starts and it's a time we can start planning. So what would interest you and if there was time you would like to donate to getting some noise back I to the community when would it be?

Rekka:

Thanks so much for volunteering to give some time! And congratulations on the new job that must be real exciting I hope you enjoy what you do! What would you be interested in working on and is there anything you ever thought we should do as a community but never had the time for? Or done? Or is there anything that I proposed that sparked your interest?

I am basically taking the long view on this I am willing to organize and put together a schedule or plan as needed you can donate as much time and effort as you like! And even if you don't have time to work on stuff it does not mean fresh ideas are not welcome! So add to the conversation no need to be shy or intimidated if you don't have time to spare I totally get it life happens and it can suck!

Also not I will be heading up to Otakon this year. So I will not be available for forum stuff from that weds-Tuesday at least!

Jadeduo
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I'd be open to the feedback project maybe later this summer. It's been a couple of years since we did it. But it was kind of a mixed bag. Sometimes you'd get some really good feedback, and then you'd get a couple of people who just provided simple, one sentence answers that didn't say much. I was frustrated by the end of the project, especially as I tried to elaborate on the questions each owner asked, explore and click away in each gallery, and would usually get simple yes/no responses, or worse yet, no responses at all. I think there were about 30 members that participated, and while I sent one a response to everyone, I think I might have received around 15 or so. I understand that RL gets in the way of collecting, but I would have appreciated a response, even if it were a year after they were "due" instead of no response at all.

It was suggested, after the project, that if we were to do this again, to divide the members into groups so that there would be less galleries for each person to review. I'm kinda "meh" on that. If you're placed in a group with other individuals who are willing to spend time actually reviewing your gallery, it's great. But if you're in a group where, despite asking open questions, you get simple yes/no answers, a feedback project won't be of much help to you at all.

Oh, you're going to Otakon? I hope you have a blast there.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Cutiebunny:

That's great feedback and something to definitely take into consideration! And yes I'm going to Otakon! We went last year for the first time in 6 years and it was a blast! We had two friends relocate to Fredericksburg and so we met up there and shared a hotel room! We don't generally go in for the lines but we watch anime shop cosplay and reconnect! The group consists of me and one other hardcore cel collector and a friend of ours just getting into it. Also a hardcore anime watcher, an anime hater he is more amused by us than anything and our two friends from Fredericksburg!

So so far I have votes for:

2 votes for past annual events, contest, gallery review
1 vote for Skype meeting regional or otherwise
1 vote for provenance project
1 vote for the newbies guide
1 vote for a possible cel convention in the future

Alright so far things are sounding pretty good, anyone want to weigh in, add Ideas or vote? I vote we do everything but I am gung-ho right now! Some ideas can be things that are ongoing projects throughout the year, the provenance project I envision going on indefinitely.

Everyone please weigh in! Let's make something happen!

Jadeduo
theultimatebrucelee
Senpai - Elder

Post by theultimatebrucelee »

I like the suggestion of annual events and contests, gallery review and also think collecting guide would be a great idea. I think there should be a poll for the suggestions mentioned, so theres a way to realistically gauge how many would be willing and able to participate.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Your wish is my command! The survey is below if it doesn't make any sense to you let me know I can be too bubbly for my own good sometimes ^_^

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/K9JZSY8

Please respond here if you are uncomfortable taking the survey I will be monitoring this post, dropping in at least two-times a day!

Thanks!
Jadeduo
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Post by sensei »

I've been busy ... medical issues (annoying but happily non-lethal) ... and performing in a community theatre play. But I'm game for a lot of this, even the cel/sketch contest, though not as chief honcho. I like making contacts in the collecting field and feel sad that many of my very strongest collecting friendships have, due to passage of time and changing life situations, turned into Christmas card exchanges rather than excited to-and-fro PMs and emails. I'd like to get some of this passion back into Beta.

Don't forget that I'll be at AnimeNext (Somerset NJ) on June 6-8, doing a panel of animation art collecting and with a couple of cel books and boxes in tow.
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

That's awesome Sensei I wish I could make it all the way up there, however I am hording PTO for Otakon right now :). I'm glad the medical issues are non lethal! It's also great to know you are still giving the cel/sketch talk to new generations of fans! Maybe a good time to recruit for Beta as well ;)

Thanks for taking the survey! I've noticed a lot of people have been looking at this post so please head over to the survey so I can get an idea oh what people are most interested in!

So far the newbies guide and the gallery peer review are in the lead as things we should work on first!! Please make your opinion known then we can figure out schedules assignments etc.

Thanks!

Jadeduo
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Hi!

I'm still monitoring the post it got quiet again so anyone else that is interested please pop over to the survey to make your preferences known!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/K9JZSY8

And also feel free to post the survey is five questions, and super quick! I'm going to keep poking because I swear every time there is a community event I missed it cause the decision to participate was always pulled after a few days so I will be recruiting for at least a few weeks so please get involved make your opinions known!

Jadeduo
Jadeduo
Senpai - Elder

Post by Jadeduo »

Bump!

I hope everyone had a great Mother's Day!

I will be cross posting to Rubberslug this evening with the survey. If anyone has any suggestions of other forums to cross post to, let me know!

Jadeduo
ginga123
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by ginga123 »

I've cross-posted you on Facebook under Jason's Rubberslug Group. It's a very small group; but, hopefully it will generate more survey responses for you.

I'm interested in the provenance project. I'd be on board with Cutiebunny about the con-thing. You'd be surprised who you meet waiting in line for a seminar or autograph. A shoulder injury and a promotion dampened my convention plans for Animazement this year. (Awesome and Dammit No!)
Ginga’s Anime Galactica
Making Bold Look Beautiful since 2005
www.gag.rubberslug.com

“I pretended to be somebody I wanted to be until finally I became that person. Or (s)he became me.”—Cary Grant