Alert: Color Copiers Being Used in Production Art

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
sensei
Moderator and Admin-in-waiting

Alert: Color Copiers Being Used in Production Art

Post by sensei »

This is a pretty technical report on some production materials that I acquired recently that present some potentially troublesome problems for collectors. They represent ArtLand’s 2005-06 acclaimed production Mushishi, which won an award for outstanding artistic supervision at the 2006 Tokyo International Animation Fair. Part of an increasing amount of production art coming onto the market, they seem to be “art boards,” rough sketches intended to help the studio’s artistic team render the backgrounds. They are undeniably pretty; here’s one good example.

Lovely as it is in a scan, when you hold the paper product in your hand, it raises questions. Most obviously, why are the registration holes not cut through, but are simply copied on top of the page? The paper too feels thinner, “slicker” than the studio production paper many of us collect. Most ominously, the images of the falling water, though drawn with a very sharp pencil, leave no indentations on the front or back of the paper.

Bottom line: ArtLand, and presumably other major studios, have invested in some high-end color copiers and are using them intensively as part of the animation process. While some of us won’t find that a problem -- settei and storyboards, for example, are normally available only in copy form -- others of us might be troubled by obtaining something that looks like an original artwork but turns out to be in whole or part an extremely good color copy. It’s clearly going to be an issue for people interested in Mushishi art, and, unless I miss my guess, it’s soon going to be an issue for art being released from many other series.

Following is a first draft of a piece that will eventually go up in my gallery (presently delisted for installations) as part of my new “Mushishi Art Boards” corridor. I’d appreciate any corrections or suggestions you might have.

So -- for those for whom authenticity is an issue -- without further ado:

Mushishi Production Art: Is It Real or Ricoh?

Photocopying layouts for use in generating watercolor production backgrounds has been a common practice, as those who have collected cels with original BGs. Often these are marked up and sometimes elaborated by the Art Director or an assistant as a guide to the artist. Evidently the same practice continues even though backgrounds, increasingly, are computer generated in nature. And, with the increasing use of color copiers, it is sometimes initially difficult to distinguish an original drawing from a high-end copy.

To add to the confusion, the background team at ArtLand Animation Studio regularly used color copies as a base for drawings that substantially revised or elaborated the original layout. Hence a set of sketches may include totally autograph drawings, totally color copied images, and a number of sheets that include a mix of photocopied and original hand-drawn art. At first glance, the three are extremely difficult to tell apart, so here are some basic guidelines, based on my close study of a range of Mushishi art.

Signs of Photocopy Art:

1. Look at the registration holes. If they are cut through, the art is probably autograph. If they are simply copied on top of an uncut page, the sheet is in whole or part a photocopy.

2. Hold the sheet at a sharp angle to a light source, until the light reflects off the black around the registration holes. If they are photocopied, they will shine brightly and evenly across the whole square. The “ArtLand” logo will shine in the same way. If you look at the rest of the image while rocking the sheet back and forth, you’ll see other parts of the image shine in the same way. These too are probably photocopied. The copy machine uses heat and high pressure to fuse the toner to the sheet, producing a flat, light-reflecting surface. A photocopy that is heavily colored will shine across the whole surface, while one with a lot of white space may shine only on the most distinct outlines.

3. Turn the sheet over and look at it under the same light at a sharp angle. Sheets bearing original art will show the mark of the artist’s pencil or pen on the back; photocopied sheets will be nearly flat and without impression.

4. Look at the sheet under a 8x or 10x photographer’s loupe. One of those inexpensive molded plastic ones is fine; you don’t need one of those fancy three-lens loupes made for jewelers. Photocopied images will resolve under this magnification into a fine collection of little dots, which are the actual bits of toner used to make the image. I like to call this effect “sand,” which is what it looks like on the sheet.

Alternatively, scan the sheet at 600 dpi. (300 dpi isn’t strong enough) and then look at the scan on the screen at 100% image size. If your scanner is a good one, you’ll be able to see the “sand” making up the image.

Signs of Original Art:

1. In the set I got, all four examples of ArtLand sheets that had cut-through registration holes (not solid white copies), the artwork was entirely original. All four also had been attached to other sheets with yucky Japanese celotape (all the photocopies that came with others were stapled). I don’t know if this is coincidence, though.

2. Original art leaves visible “hills” on the back of the sheet that can be seen when it’s held against sharply raking light. In addition, some of the black ink used was absorbent enough that it bled through to the other side. For a good example of this (actually the reverse side of the image at the start of this essay), see

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/ ... hi26-4.jpg

3. Original art may shine in some places, but not as consistently or as brightly as photocopied patches.

4. When the sheet is inspected under a loupe, especially under raking light, you can see the texture of the paper’s surface. It’s not perfectly flat, but tends to make low hills and valleys. Pencil strokes tend to “catch” the hills and “miss” the valleys, producing an effect that reminds me of “skin” rather than “sand.” This “skin” texture is also visible in a 600 dpi scan, though if you use the loupe you can also see the topography of the paper’s surface as well. Black ink, by contrast, bleeds into the paper more evenly than photocopy toner, coating hills and valleys and leaving a smooth, crisp contour.

Color copy images, because of the pressure used to fuse them to the paper, cover the hills and valleys with “sand” without any variation and, even at their darkest, resolve as collections of dots with granular borders rather than as smooth lines.

Here’s a good example of an art board that uses a color copy as a base, but then drastically revises and elaborates the background design:

When seen under a loupe, it’s clear that the images of the characters are photocopied, as are the general outlines of the rocks and trees. It’s also clear that the heavy black ink used in the foreground and the blue pencil used behind the characters is original art. If you visit these two images (selections from a 600 dpi scan I did of this piece) you’ll be able to see examples of both “sand” ( = photocopy) and “skin” ( = original pencilwork).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/ ... hi26-1.jpg

1. From the upper left of the image above. Black ink and orange pencil have been added by a studio artist to outline and revise a “sandy” photocopied tree limb, while “skin-textured” blue pencil is visible above and below. You can also see part of an original annotation in black and red ink.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v737/ ... ishi26.jpg

2. From about the middle of the image above. A “sandy” photocopied section (including the lettering in red) is at the top, while “skin-like” blue penciling and a crisp original ink annotation are visible below. Note that the red circle around the ink annotation also “hits” and “misses” the paper texture, so it too must be original.

A comparison of this artboard to the actual broadcast image:

... shows that the revisions shown in this art board were in fact carried out by the ArtLand CGI background team, proving it to be an original, authentic piece of production art, despite its hybrid media.

The same, alas, can’t be said of all the pieces I got, though most of them do contain annotations and mark-ups from the production process. I’d guess that this is an issue that collectors will need to face, batch by batch, sheet by sheet, in the future. I’d strongly advise people collecting Mushishi art to invest in a good loupe and use it on every possible occasion; and unless I miss my guess people collecting other series should be doing the same.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Ah...fun. Something else to think about while buying art. :?

But thanks for the detailed explanation. It's quite informative. /no1
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

How did you feel when you found that Layouts and Settai are being color copied ?
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

I seem to have Kanon (2002) layouts that are completely copied, partially copied and all hand done (they're unposted). :?

But the copier they used for them was lower quality than the Mushishi's so they're not as difficult to detect. Still...it's amazing how close the copy lines can look to original lines. Even holding them near my eyeballs with my extreme nearsightness it's difficult to tell them apart. :hurt:
backlotanimation
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by backlotanimation »

Very good Topic Sensei.
This idea of using high rez copies in productions has been done for years even back to the good old cel days.
I have tons of production copies with other scenes and sometimes other shows copied on the backs of them.
Lots of studios used both sides of paper to save some money on productions they were working on.
I even have some pages with two studios production copies on them ,like Disney and MGM/UA,Warner Bros and others mixed on the same paper.
You will find studios farm out alot of there work to other studios and they tend to send copies to the place doing work for them, and the main studio keeps the real copies and hopefully adds the copies to the folder after production is done.
Most of the copies out right now are from the production company,But like sensei said you need to be careful and look at the art real close some of them can fool even folks like myself that have been doing this for over 25 years.
Just remember studio copies are sometimes the only art left from there productions do to losses or folks stealing the real art. I collect some copies myself and I'm sure others do also.
The lesson here is learn what your looking at and you will save yourself time and cash in the long run.
redwolf
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by redwolf »

Nice post Sensei! Thank you for all that information.
In the set I got, all four examples of ArtLand sheets that had cut-through registration holes (not solid white copies), the artwork was entirely original. All four also had been attached to other sheets with yucky Japanese celotape (all the photocopies that came with others were stapled). I don’t know if this is coincidence, though.
Not so coincidental, perhaps. Just yesterday, I got my deputy package in, including 20 original Artland background layout sheets with usable registration holes. Each one is celotaped to corresponding B&W copies (some with color pencil andor pen). With some layouts that came with multiple copies, the copies are stapled together. There are also two color copies: one an obvious copy of a partial background sketch on yellow sketch paper, and the other a color copy that almost looked real, except for the fake registration holes, and the fact that my trusty eraser had no impact.

I'd like to note that both of my color copies had regular pencil lines (as part of the copy). All of my originals were soley composed of color pencil and red ink.

Here's a quick scan of one of my original background layouts

If I was rich, I'd seriously consider donating truckloads of good tape to these animation studios... :D However, until then, was it you who had a method of taking this tape off of sketches? I never wanted to try anything with the cut and re-taped registration holes, as that was part of the animation process, but this is an entirely different story...
Sheets bearing original art will show the mark of the artist’s pencil or pen on the back;
This can sometimes be quite hard to see amongst all the work wear dings in the paper,...especially with color pencil only drawings--color pencil tends to be softer and doesn't really leave much impact on the back side.
Original art may shine in some places, but not as consistently or as brightly as photocopied patches.
With color pencil, I think this is true, but with regular pencils, they can sometimes shine more brightly, however--as you said--nowhere near as consistently.

Personally, I took it for granted that the B&W sketchy parts of these types of layouts were copied, but I did not realize that they were using color copies as well. I also did not realize that the black marker parts were original, though I should have considered it after receiving my Eyeshield 21 sketches (some of which used marker for outlining).
sensei

Post by sensei »

redwolf wrote:Nice post Sensei! Thank you for all that information.
Thanks back for your own observations, which are really helpful. And I owe you an email for the feedback you left on my gallery a week ago. Sensei looks nervously at a stack of ungraded exams beside his laptop.
Lovely! And similar in a lot of ways to one original that I got. The style of the blue penciling and the handwriting of "Book 1" etc. all seems the same, which suggests that all of this work was done by the same person. [Dare I suggest ... Takeshi Waki, Art Director for Mushishi, Samurai Champloo, Hakkenden, etc. etc. etc.?]
was it you who had a method of taking this tape off of sketches?

Eucalyptus oil (available in big jugs at several health food websites ... be aware that it's lethal if your kids drink it) will soften celotape adhesive without lifting pencil, print, or watercolor. It will, however, lift photocopy toner and so may damage color copy sheets if used on them. Alternatively, inserting the point of an Exacto blade under the tape will separate it from the paper and (usually) not shred the paper.
color pencil tends to be softer and doesn't really leave much impact on the back side.

True: and so the loupe is the acid test. If you can see "skin" not "sand," then you've got original artwork.
With color pencil, I think this is true, but with regular pencils, they can sometimes shine more brightly, however--as you said--nowhere near as consistently.

Yes: I should revise this to clarify the point. Graphite does in fact shine very brightly, but in a limited way that in fact makes it easy to see it as strokes rather than patches. Photocopy tends to shine in sheets rather than lines, and that is the giveaway. Though it's really just a first test (as with the photocopied registration holes and the staples). Everyone should have a loupe. I store caffeine tablets in mine when I'm not using it to look at artwork.

Congrats again on your score: let's look forward to seeing what we've got Your batch is from Ep. 14 (Inside the Cradle), right? All of mine are from the concluding episode (Ep. 26). Cool![/i]
redwolf
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by redwolf »

sensei wrote:Sensei looks nervously at a stack of ungraded exams beside his laptop.
Is this an example of "teacher procrastination"? I was very adept at the other end in school, "student procrastination". :P
The style of the blue penciling and the handwriting of "Book 1" etc. all seems the same, which suggests that all of this work was done by the same person. [Dare I suggest ... Takeshi Waki, Art Director for Mushishi, Samurai Champloo, Hakkenden, etc. etc. etc.?]
That would be amazing. It's too bad it is impossible to identify 99.9~% of production artwork.
Eucalyptus oil (available in big jugs at several health food websites ... be aware that it's lethal if your kids drink it) will soften celotape adhesive without lifting pencil, print, or watercolor. It will, however, lift photocopy toner and so may damage color copy sheets if used on them. Alternatively, inserting the point of an Exacto blade under the tape will separate it from the paper and (usually) not shred the paper.
Thank you. Are the brown squares around the registration holes are similar to "print"? Some of the tape on mine covers part of these squares. How much oil would you recommend using for one of these pieces of tape?
Everyone should have a loupe. I store caffeine tablets in mine when I'm not using it to look at artwork.
So these loupes are multi-purpose! What are the best places to look for the molded plastic type that you mention in the initial post?
Congrats again on your score: let's look forward to seeing what we've got Your batch is from Ep. 14 (Inside the Cradle), right? All of mine are from the concluding episode (Ep. 26). Cool![/i]
Yes, the set is 12 original layouts from 14 (produced as 15), but it also has 9 original layouts (I noticed that one of the cuts actually has two original layouts) from 16 (produced as 17), Daybreak Snake, that we discussed in the earlier YJ thread. I was glad to see that the actual set was more diverse than I expected, because the auction pictures showed a number of layouts from episode 14 and only one from 16. I'm looking forward to seeing your sketches and copies from #26, especially since I know they will come with in-depth descriptions.

Mushishi is an odd show for me: I normally collect by favorite character, even with other shows that lack an overarching plot, but with Mushishi, I'd rather collect by favorite episodes. I think it's wonderful that so much is appearing from the final three episodes, but I'm disappointed that there doesn't seem to be too much from the earlier episodes, especially with regards to these background layouts, which I find quite beautiful and an interesting change from the roughs and genga that I usually collect.
sensei

Post by sensei »

redwolf wrote:Is this an example of "teacher procrastination"?
I hate grading exams. But it's academic karma: Teacher makes you write it; you make the teacher read it. (College teachers are, after all, employed by students, though we're trained to use smoke, mirrors and mesmeric tactics to make it seem the other way around.) In this case, the only pleasure is that the last question asks them to compare the mythological worldview expressed by The Ramayana to that of xxxHolic. Those can be interesting to read, especially those written by students who actually read both works.
Are the brown squares around the registration holes are similar to "print"? Some of the tape on mine covers part of these squares. How much oil would you recommend using for one of these pieces of tape?
I had the same concern on one of mine, so I prised off the tape with the Exacto knife and then cautiously dabbed at the remaining adhesive with a cotton swab with a small amount of eucalyptus oil. This limited use of solvent did not seem to lift this pigment, so I think it qualifies as "print." But I'd go easy about saturating it with the eucalyptus oil, especially as this solvent spreads in paper and may damage pigment nearby.
What are the best places to look for the molded plastic type that you mention in the initial post?
"Loupes & Magnifiers" in eBay is as good a place as any. I see now that my Agfa "Lupe" (= German for "loupe") is now considered "vintage" [Sensei counts the dwindling months to retirement and makes sure that his long-term care insurance is paid up] and costs more than most. But the no-brand "new in box" types look identical and should be good enough; they run for around $3-$4. Be sure to get 8x or 10x. The 4x ones are useless.
I'm looking forward to seeing your sketches and copies from #26, especially since I know they will come with in-depth descriptions.
The in-depth descriptions of the new PPGZ sketches come first. But I might upload the scans and add the descriptions later.
these background layouts I find quite beautiful and an interesting change from the roughs and genga that I usually collect.

Agreed! One reason I haven't gone for Mushishi art before is that what's come on the market has been so drab looking, such a contrast with the lushness of the show's visual world. This stuff really makes you see how they got all those trees and vines and shrubs and grass to grow like crazy.
backlotanimation
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Cleaning tape goo off drawings and cels.

Hello all,

Here is a few tips to remove tape and the goo that goes along with it.

CELS:
On cels you can use isopropyl alcohol or pure grain alcohol.
Take a old cotton t-shirt and turn it inside out so the soft part is on the outside*Note: don't use a new shirt the cloth is still to hard for your cel and can scratch it.
Take a small part of the shirt and place it on the top of the bottle of alcohol and wet the cloth, Not to point of dripping just damp with alcohol.
Next place the cloth on the goo and let it sit for a minute or so and wipe the goo to the outside edge not across this way you move the goo off the cel not across it.
You may need to do this a few times to remove all the goo,change parts of the t-shirt you use after each use so you always use a clean spot.
After you clean the cel with alcohol get some distilled water and clean any film left on the cel by dabbing not rubbing,rubbing to hard can scratch your cel so be careful.also be careful about the cel numbers alcohol can remove some of them if the studio did not use colorfast markers for the numbers.
try to stay away from the lines and paints on the back of the cel just to be sure you don't harm them.
I keep a extra clean rag next to me when I clean cels just incase the alcohol drips any so I can clean it up fast.

DRAWINGS:
Drawings can be kind of hard to clean the goo off of but you can remove alot just by using a new peace of tape on the goo.
how you do it is place the tape only on the goo and pull the tape off toward the outside edge so you don't rip the paper if you pull it off going across the paper it tends to rip very easy.
You can use a blow dryer on low heat to remove the tape if it sticks hard to the drawing this way you don't tear your drawing,the heat will release the tape.NEVER USE BLOW DRYERS ON CELS THIS WILL MELT THEM FAST!!!
the blow dryer can also be used to bring the goo to the surface on the drawing so you can remove it with the tape or talc powder.
In studios that clean drawings they tends to use stuff like cleaning fluid and such,not easy if you don't have the right stuff and the knowledge to use it.
The goo stain can never be removed fully but you can stop the spread of the goo into more of your drawing.
What you do is after you have removed as much goo as you can you need to get yourself some Talc powder, not the scented kind just plain talc powder and spread it on the goo and let it sit overnight and the next day rub the talc off the drawing always rubbing to the outside edge not across.You may need to do this a few times to get all the goo to stablelize and not spread to the rest of the drawing.
Always do the talc thing well away from your cels so the talc powder does not get on your other cels it tends to stick with static cling to cels.

SenSei, using Eucalyptus oil is fine on cels as long as you remove all the oil on the cels,If all the oil is not removed it can melt the cel bag you store your cels in and make them stick to the cel after a time the oil can also make the cel plastic shrink and make the paint pop off the cels if not removed fully.
If you use the Eucalyptus oil make sure you clean the cel after with a soft cloth and some distilled water to clean any oil that may be left on the cels after cleaning the goo with Eucalyptus oil.

Oil damage is one of the biggest killers of cels,Most of this oil comes from folks who hold there cels in bare hands that are not cleaned of all oil.
The best hand cleaner to use before holding your cels is dawn dish soap it removes all the oils on your skin so none gets on the cels.
If you work more than a hour or so on your cels wash your hands one more time each hour because the oils come back on your skin after a hour or so, Or get some thin white cotton gloves to work with.

I hope this helps a few folks out and if you need help drop me a email and I'll tell you what I have found over the years to help save your cels,after all the cels you have will last for alot longer than any of us will be alive so save them for the future collectors and I'm sure they will thank you also.

Roy 8)
backlotanimation
Eiketsu - Mastermind

RoboFlonne wrote:I love those thin white cotton gloves!
Yea those gloves are nice,But if you buy a pair wash them a few times to soften the cotton first,new ones can be kind of stiff and scratchy and after you wash them you can feel the cel/drawing easyer do to the softness.

Get two pair and you can cut the first two fingers and thumb off the glove at the knuckle on one pair,This lets you rest your palm on your work or a cel so you don't get hand oils on your art, but leaves your fingers open to work with small stuff or just for more feel in the brush or pencil.
Those that draw with pencils this type of cut glove will help keep you from smudging your lines as you draw other items on your page.

Try them out,Some like them some do not.I use them sometimes they come in handy and are good to have around.

Roy 8)
RoboFlonne
Uguu...!

Post by RoboFlonne »

I'm not good at drawing! /wah

But those gloves would be great for drawing! I hadn't thought of that! I've always seen people use an easel just to force them not to touch the lines!

You sure know alot! Love your gallery! Glad that you have more time now to post here! :vict
backlotanimation wrote:
RoboFlonne wrote:I love those thin white cotton gloves!
Yea those gloves are nice,But if you buy a pair wash them a few times to soften the cotton first,new ones can be kind of stiff and scratchy and after you wash them you can feel the cel/drawing easyer do to the softness.

Get two pair and you can cut the first two fingers and thumb off the glove at the knuckle on one pair,This lets you rest your palm on your work or a cel so you don't get hand oils on your art, but leaves your fingers open to work with small stuff or just for more feel in the brush or pencil.
Those that draw with pencils this type of cut glove will help keep you from smudging your lines as you draw other items on your page.

Try them out,Some like them some do not.I use them sometimes they come in handy and are good to have around.

Roy 8)