You know what ticks me off....

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
soda
Jiggle Counter

You know what ticks me off....

Post by soda »

... is when you respect the wishes of a person when they say 'no cel is for sale or trade, please don't ask' and then the cel you wanted to ask about shows up in someone else's gallery. I file this with all of the other people that always say 'huge wishlist cel--don't even ask' and then in a year or so, it's up for sale.

Now that I've witnessed many o' NFS sales get sold, I just laugh when I see it tagged as such or a gallery stating that nothing is for sale. It's definitely for sale at some point and I will no longer respect your wishes to not ask.

btw... hi there strangers :D
Mandarake/YJ/YJ DBZ/YJ H/YJ GG HNK

Get some exercise. Ride a cyclist.
Han shot first!
You smell like updog.
Never, never, never do a google image search for goatse!
wELCOME cONSUMER
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by wELCOME cONSUMER »

Haven't seen you around lately soda, where ya been?

I agree about the NFS labels. I hate those things, mostly because anything could be for sale for the right price, no?
There's nothing worse than losing out on a cel because you didn't ask about it first. I tend to bother anyone who has something I want.
It's the risk they run when they post cels online. :evil: Mwhahaha!
"Devoted to all things lovely to consume"
| Amazon | eBay | rubberslug | facebook |
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

I completely agree with you. I have always believed even if a person has a "NFS" and I am still interested I will still send my offer. Worst thing they can say is "no its not for sale, can't you read." I have gotten on priority lists for several items because of this. Everyone has a sale person if you say the right number.
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime runs my life. I'll leave it to anime to where my life leads me. -EoP
Anime I have Seen
Slippery slopes of hellish Ice.
akadro
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by akadro »

You know Soda, sometimes money talks! Usually I don't sell my cels and and sometimes I get offers that are completely insane so I'll it go, on the other hand when someone has a cel that I want even if it is labeled NFS and always make my offer, I just keep in mind that my offer will have to be a good one if the person sell it to me.

Money talks...money talks...

dro
soda
Jiggle Counter

Post by soda »

If it seems that everyone agrees that NFS doesn't mean anything then why do people continue to use that label?
Mandarake/YJ/YJ DBZ/YJ H/YJ GG HNK

Get some exercise. Ride a cyclist.
Han shot first!
You smell like updog.
Never, never, never do a google image search for goatse!
akadro
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by akadro »

soda wrote:If it seems that everyone agrees that NFS doesn't mean anything then why do people continue to use that label?
I don't know I don't but I understand more a NFS cel as a cel that will be hard to buy...not impossible. :D

dro
Ronin
Senpai - Elder

Post by Ronin »

I'd agree...guess it makes you think why some people bother in having the category ANFS (Absolutely Not For Sale) as well.

Still if it's something you absolutely want/need, you can either be courteous and expect their wishes or just send in that offer. It's hard, but at the end of the day they can either say 'Thanks, but no' or just ignore you, I don’t think many people would be that offended by an offer on a NFS cel.
metheus
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by metheus »

This is an interesting topic. I have a general NFS notation on my site's footer. I generally have no intention of selling anything and to date haven't sold a single item in my 8 years of cel collecting.

That's not to say dire circumstances or a deal I can't refuse won't come along. It's more of a way to ward off those types that just come along and do the old, "that's cool... sell it to me." I had an insane offer made on a $5 cel once. Keep in mind I was rather fond of the cel, the odd part was the character in similar pose was not overly hard to come by. I usually just point them elsewhere if I know of anything.

While individual items make up the collection, I like to view my collection as a whole. Maybe I should just make it a "99.9% not for sale" disclaimer though, to ward off the casual types. :P
crackpot27
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!
Location: My GPS is telling me to turn and there is no road...

Post by crackpot27 »

I'm guilty of that from time to time X| . I use both the NFS and ANFS, and to tell the truth I genuinely don't want to sell those items and the use of those labels are to discourage people from asking. I don't like saying "no" very often, so this just makes things a little easier for me, so I feel less like an @#%. I did part with a few NFS items not so long ago to fund a wishlist item, but overall those are the items I'm looking to keep in the collection for years to come. So I use them and will probably continue to use them, though I can see why it's frustrating :wink:
Baylor
Snarky Chick

Post by Baylor »

I have a general statement on my site that says nothing is for sale, but I've learned that such labels really don't deter anyone. I still get a lot of questions asking if I will sell things, and I always respond with, thanks for asking, but I'm not looking to sell it, blah blah blah.
sailorsv13
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by sailorsv13 »

I use the whole gallery NFS in bold on my rs site...even though most should know that sales aren't allowed through rs anyway. But I think what happens with me is that there are a couple of cels that I have posted up for sale on beta and when they don't sell they go back in my gallery. Needless to say these are not the cels I get offers on, rather people usually offer on the cels that they know I want to keep ^.^ Funny world! But I don't know, it is up to a gallery owner if they want to advertise that their cels are NFS and up to the offer-er to email an offer and get a more than likely NO GO TO HELL (or something like that) answer. But like Eternity of Pain said I usually just kindly reply, "no its not for sale, can't you read."

~ Bri ~
cutiebunny
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by cutiebunny »

I can understand your frustration when a seller decides to sell an ANFS cel to someone else. Unfortunately, people do have relationships with other collectors, and even if you send them a teary email pleading for the cel, they may still decide to sell it to a close friend, regardless as to how much you offer.

In general, the items in my gallery is all not for sale. If I decide to sell something, I put it up on E-bay or in the RS sale forum. But, generally speaking, while I am honored when people send me offers, I decline but let them know that, should I plan on selling that item in the future, that I'll let them know. I have several cels which do have 'wait lists' for them. For me, this method works best. I don't think I could every write back with a "It's never for sale, you goober! Scram!" message...situations may change and I might need the money. Why tick off potential buyers with something so crass?

Plus, it's also how I would like to be treated, should I find myself in an similiar situation.
ashenfairy
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ashenfairy »

I use the NFS tag and have been guilty of later selling them. I try to avoid selling them but, if I'm selling a ANFS for sale cel/sketch it means I really need the cash. It's not that I just got bored with it or that someone offered me an insane ammount for it. There are a number of the ANFS cels I've turned down offers on that the offer has been more than $1k over what I paid and there are at least a few pieces I can think of that honestly, are not for sale at any price ever. Someone could seriously offer me $1 Million dollars and I would not sell them because they have meaning beyond being painted plastic.

But, generally speaking if I slapped the NFS tag on something, at that moment in time I have zero intention of selling. However, my family comes before my art collection so if I have to sell something it breaks my heart to sell I'll do it if I must. And I have in the past there are a few pieces I sold and pine for still I don't regret selling them because of what needed to be done. I wish I had the sort of income that would allow me to not sell things when I get in a nasty situation but, I don't we can only buy things through very careful budgetting at this point our mortgage and Bills take up about 90% of our income. So we buy art rarely now and when we do it usually has to be funded through the sale of our other pieces. And if we have a large issue of some sort (like unexpected $600 worth of car repairs recently). We live on our own of our own means and our parents aren't going to fix it for us (my parents are totally financially unable and Jen's...well that's long story). So if it comes down to it I'm apt to sell what's the most valuable so I can do what needs to be done.

Besides that I'm sure people change their minds everyone goes through collecting phases and sometimes you go through a phase where you do a lot of impulse purchases love them and then realize oh hey I don't really need all this do I?

The other reason I use them is because I like to avoid getting asked about the same cel again and again. There are a few shots I don't have any plans to sell in the near future or far flung future but people ask about them pretty consistantly and while it's flattering I'd rather just try and nip in the but, rather than constantly saying no. Which isn't to say I'm offened by the offers or anything. I just would like to quell them a bit. I'm always polite about answering them as I understand how seeing your dream cel in someone elses gallery feels but, again it gets to where you don't even want to display the things anymore.

As far as seeing the ANFS/NFS in other people's galleries I generally respect them (though there a few times that I have asked anyway in blind hope or sent a if you change your mind please let me know meddage) . I rarely offer on anything anyway unless someone is in an offer period because, it always feels kind of wrong to me. Not that I won't do it if there's a high end wishlist cel sitting there. I find collecting is often a paradox like that for me though, it makes me engage in activites I would never bother with on a normal basis. :?
Last edited by ashenfairy on Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

http://www.avaneshop.com/ Our anime, games and geekery webshop
blueheaven
Chiteijin - Cave Dweller

Post by blueheaven »

Maybe we should have a new acronym.

NFSATMUSCAAOMAHFWOCMTWT

NOT FOR SALE AT THIS MOMENT UNLESS SOMEONE COMES ALONG AND OFFERS ME A HUGE FRIGGIN WAD OF CASH. MAYBE THEN WE'LL TALK.
Time is but an illusion. Lunch time...doubly so.
ashenfairy
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by ashenfairy »

blueheaven wrote:Maybe we should have a new acronym.

NFSATMUSCAAOMAHFWOCMTWT

NOT FOR SALE AT THIS MOMENT UNLESS SOMEONE COMES ALONG AND OFFERS ME A HUGE FRIGGIN WAD OF CASH. MAYBE THEN WE'LL TALK.
That sounds perfect :)

http://www.avaneshop.com/ Our anime, games and geekery webshop