Your current acquisition rate?

Topics of anime/other animation art and collectibles.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Your current acquisition rate?

Post by Keropi »

Since there are fewer quality production artwork posted up for sale these days I was wondering....

How many cels/sketch acquisitions have you had recently?

I'm buying much less than I did in 2006:

May 2007 - 1 auction
Jun 2007 -- 4 auctions
Jul 2007 -- 3 auctions
Aug 2007 - 1 auction
Sep 2007 - 3 auctions
Oct 2007 -- 5 auctions
Nov 2007 - 0 auctions
Dec 2007 - 4 auctions
Jan 2008 -- 4 auctions so far

On the other hand, I saved much money.
sugarcels
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by sugarcels »

August 2007 - 16 cels (lot + 2)
September 2007 - 6 cels (lot)
October 2007 - 0
November 2007 - 0
December 2007 - 0
January 2008 - 0

I would definitely say that I'm buying less! When I do find something I want, I either don't have the money, or someone snipes me :( However, 2007 looks to have been a big year.
Shampoo
Kiba-phile

Post by Shampoo »

2006: er... lost track :emb somewhere between 30-35
2007: about 25
2008: 2

Im definetely buying less.. but not saving a dime because
I've been steadily increasing the amount spent on
each acquisition LMAO!

:hitting: :rollin

I only bought around 25 cels in 2007 but
they were all between 200-1000 a pop
O_O

As for this year, so far I've only bought 2 things :wink:
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Shampoo wrote:I only bought around 25 cels in 2007 but
they were all between 200-1000 a pop
O_O

As for this year, so far I've only bought 2 things :wink:
Ouch. :)

Yeah, I'm buying much less than I did a year ago (?40 percent less?). I think the price average for 2007 was higher than 2006, but not so high as to be paying more.

I hope 2008 doesn't become boring. It's harder to get excited about artwork than it used to be.
EternityOfPain
Senpai - Elder

Post by EternityOfPain »

I bought so many JK sketches in 2007... Biggest year (actually to be percise 2007 was my first full year, 2006 i only collected (started actually) Aug. 30th.).

I'd guess around 70 Cuts + 4-5 cels was bought in 2007.
I didnt attend the funeral but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it. -Mark Twain
Anime runs my life. I'll leave it to anime to where my life leads me. -EoP
Anime I have Seen
Slippery slopes of hellish Ice.
star-phoenix
Yosutebito - Hermit

Post by star-phoenix »

I purchased (received or receiving this week) about 3-4 cels in the past 6 months. I have cut down about 1/3 of my original cel collection, and am still trying to cut down another 1/3.

I will not be receiving any new ones for another 8 months though with the recent "purchases". 8O
duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Re: Your current acquisition rate?

Post by duotrouble »

Keropi wrote:Since there are fewer quality production artwork posted up for sale these days I was wondering....
Yup! Being a pain tonight! :P :wink: I disagree with this statement. I seem to find good quality cels and sketches all over the place. The problem is I'm typically letting them go because I simply am not a millionaire :roll: . . . yet! :^^:

Since I've been taking a hiatus, my buying has definitely decreased. I haven't bought for myself in 4 months. I haven't bought anything yet this year for myself either although I'm trying. The forces of nature (and freaking PP) are still against me but I feel the winds of time changing. :D
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!
Krafty
Custodian of Records

Post by Krafty »

Like Duo states, I also don't see a dry up of good artwork, but that's because I collect art primarily from the 90's-'05.
In 2007 I bought far too many to count and even in the first 2 weeks of January I've bought 57 cels/sketch cuts.

As you've mentioned before, Keropi, the release of sketches form newer shows is not forthcoming and the latest shows don't have much artwork on paper anyway.
If that's a new trend in the production of anime our hobby will diminish over the next decade and we'll all be buying less animation art.
Out of the gloom a voice said unto me;
"Smile and be happy, things could be worse".
So I smiled and was happy
and behold;
things did get worse...
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

I follow your logic.
The Three Laws of Robotics:
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Captain Haddock
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Captain Haddock »

Typically I'm buying alot less at the mo, but that's principally because I'm a student and have a rather limited income. I've only bought 1 cel this year and before that I hadn't bought anything for about 4-5 months.

Another factor is that as time goes on I'm getting increasingly fussy over what I buy so that even when I do work I'll only buy like 6-7 pieces a year, but make sure they're generally of higher quality then I've tended to go for in the past. Well at least that's the theory!
ReiTheJelly
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by ReiTheJelly »

I find myself buying more artwork. Even so far this month I've purchased a number of cels and sketches. But I must admit that cels from one of my primary collecting areas have been popping up quite frequently - a lot more than say, two years ago.

But I'm trying to be good and limit myself to things that I truly want.
Keropi
Bishoujo art collector

Post by Keropi »

Well, I'm glad you guys are still finding stuff you like since I'm not. :O

I might have to take a refresher course in Japanese character recognition and go back and finish those old PSX/Dreamcast ren'ai games that I never finished a long time ago.

I need something else to keep my mind occupied besides the usual anime viewing. Something...something...hmm. :?
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

That was not very original.
1. A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
-I, Robot (Asimov)
Belldandy
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by Belldandy »

I bought 2 cels and a setti set last year, up from 2 cels the year before =)
Cloud
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Cloud »

How much did 2 cels and a setti set last year up from 2 cels the year cost?
-I, Robot (Asimov)