Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies
naria
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by naria »

I'll put in a vote for Escaflowne.
frozentime
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by frozentime »

I agree with Shampoo that Noir is one of the great ones. I also think that most of the projects Yoko Kanno has worked on (Escaflowne, Macross Plus, etc) are among the best.

If you like music that really sets a mood, even though most titles are a little old, Kenji Kawai is also one of the greats, but you will not find all that many catchy "singles". Really fun or moving music, but you probably wouldn't just pick up a soundtrack without haven't been a big fan of the associated anime.

For more western sounding orchestral music, you aren't going to find any better than Joe Hisaishi's works with Miyazaki.
Naga
Anime Geek

Post by Naga »

:bounce :bounce :bounce :bounce FLCL, And wolfs Rain For sure!! :bounce :bounce :bounce
Not Sir Phobos
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by Not Sir Phobos »

I'm gonna throw out a vote for New Dominion Tank Police.
God's in his heaven, All's right with the world
animeobsessed
Taiyo - Sun Fearer

Post by animeobsessed »

Besides ones mentioned such as IY, RK, WR, Naruto, and Trinity Blood, I listen to Gundam Seed Destiny, Fafner, Hikaru no Go and Gravitation constantly.
(\__/)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(='.'=)your signature to help him gain world
(")_(")domination.
vapalla
Senpai - Elder

Post by vapalla »

A lot of my favorites like Paranoia Agent, Beck, Noir, etc have been mentioned so I thought I'd list some that weren't mentioned. The OSTs for Brigadoon, a less well-known anime are a favorite here. Music by Tsuneo Imahori like Trigun and Gungrave are great too. I also listen to Fantastic Children, Haibane Renmei, Honey & Clover, Planetes, Zone of the Enders, Rahxephon, & Tsubasa. New favorite are the OSTs from Black Lagoon and Mushishi.
Visit our Cel Gallery!: http://cat.rubberslug.com/
genomexec
Eiyuu - Hero

Post by genomexec »

My favorite anime music is from the Bubblegum Crisis OVAs! It's very 80s, but to me that's not a bad thing.

I also love the soundtracks from Akira and Ghost in the Shell, and the opening and ending songs from both the Lodoss OVA and the Lodoss TV series are wonderful.
frozentime
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by frozentime »

genomexec wrote:I also love the soundtracks from Akira and Ghost in the Shell, and the opening and ending songs from both the Lodoss OVA and the Lodoss TV series are wonderful.
Glad someone mentioned Akira. That's a classic! GitS is one of Kenji's masterpieces, but I didn't list it specifically because I didn't know how many people would find it "accessible". Also love the Lodoss (though I had completely forgotten about that). Much of it is a little close to some previously existing classical music, but it is still really enjoyable, and some of those vocal pieces are quite moving!
Caroline
Kuwabarakuwabara - Oh My God!

Post by Caroline »

oh gosh... there's really too many (clearly!) :D but i really loved the totoro soundtrack. it's just so... wobbly *lol*
dave1999artwork
I am being punished for being stupid

Post by dave1999artwork »

I always thought the Ad Police ova soundtracks were pretty cool- it was kinda odd, because they used an american vocalist to sing songs in english, rather than Japanese (the overall sound sounding moreso American than Japanese)

I bought the Appleseed OVA soundtrack for 3,000 YEN (on import) just for the song 'Crystal Celebration' (since I thought the song was really poppy and japanese etc) but the majority of the other songs were horrible montages of b/g music and character lines from the anime.

Someone who worked in an anime store in LA got me the DB soundtracks for my christmas that they said they sniped out the store (that person has now disapeared off the face of the planet). I listen to them when I was 15 I thought the songs were pretty good (for anime). Spirit VS Spirit, Solid Scouter, Cha La Head Cha-la, etc were really uplifting. I don't think anything of them now, byut at that age it was really cool.

If you can find it too, the Devilman: The Birth soundtrack is one of Kenji Kawaii's lost works, and is now out of print, but if you can locate it, it has some beautiful orchestrial work on it that really speaks to the soul. I guess you have to be a fan of the anime though to like it...
Sugarflower
Senpai - Elder

Post by Sugarflower »

I used to endlessly listen to a Fushigi Yuugi TV series CD I used to own that contained some BGM, op and ed songs. I totally loved that CD!
Kata
Sakabatō Sheath

Post by Kata »

There are so many I like. Yoko Kanno is one of the ones I like to listen to.

Here are just a few that I like:

Texhnolyze : Yoko Ishida "Walking in this empty age"

Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto : FictionJunction Yuuka "Kouya Ruten"

Gensomaden Saiyuki : Shimokawa Mikuni "Alone"

Saiyuki Reload : WAG "Fukisusabu Kaze No Naka De"

Naruto OP: Hearts Grow "Yura Yura"
Kata

duotrouble
Trouble Maker

Post by duotrouble »

Currently, I'm addicted to the Gravitation soundtrack but 2 of my favorite artists are Maya Sakamoto and Hikaru Utada. Maya is probably best known for music in Escaflowne and Card Captor Sakura. Hikaru did the music for Kingdom Hearts. :)
Can you hear this fangirl squee?!