So how many have actually SEEN Escaflowne?

Topics on anime/other animation TV series, OVAs, specials, and movies

Have you seen Escaflowne?

I've seen the series and liked it.
16%
I've seen the movie and liked it.
9%
I've seen the series and hated it.
3%
I've seen the movie and hated it.
No votes
I've seen both and liked them both.
51%
I've sen both and hated them both.
3%
I've seen neither.
19%

Total votes: 80

MeganD.
Eiketsu - Mastermind

Post by MeganD. »

You needed I saw it and loved it option. ;)

Esca is hands down my anime of anime. It's got everything; romance triangles, world war, a shy prince and pissed off princesses, and even a promiscuous pirate! (Well, Allen's sleeves were puffy enough for a pirate...and the owl, come on).

As others have said, the full-on theatrical score is amazing. I highly recommend picking up the soundtrack.

Now the movie for me was a bit of a disappointment as well. Mainly because when I first heard about it, my very optimistic soul believed the movie would be an extention of the series and that, gosh darnit, we'd finally get that ending esca fans deserve! Not...a two hour retelling of the story. :( I just don't think the story can be told in two hours and so for me, the film felt flat and I didn't care about the characters as much.

One part I absolutely loved in the film was the beginning. First off, it was animated beautifully and second (although I'm not big into gore by any means) is when Van absolutely decimates that crew without batting an eye. It was a really powerful answer to the "What if Hitomi never arrived?" question. After that the whole story sorta...dropped off.

The tv series has been my favorite anime for years and although others have gotten close, Escaflowne is definitely a very hard act to beat.
Clever is as clever does.
-Ani Difranco
Lady Brick
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Lady Brick »

I've seen both the series and the movie, and while I liked them well enough, they aren't among my favorites by any means. I actually sold off my Esca DVDs earlier this year, but would probably rebuy if they repackaged it taking up a lot less shelf space.
Rekka Alexiel
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin
Demon Seraph of Flames - Admin

Post by Rekka Alexiel »

Well, I said I saw the tv series and liked it... but there was no poll answer for seeing them both and only liking one. I didn't care too much for the movie. I loved the music, which is to be expected with Kanno... but, I dunno. I didn't like the changes that were made to the story to fit the whole Esca idea into a movie. *shrugs*
joseishijin
Anime Geek

Post by joseishijin »

I've seen the series and the movie. I worship the series (we're talking altar here) and lovingly tolerate the movie, mainly because Allen is HOTT in it.

*cough*
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

surprised someone likes both the tv series and the movie.
joseishijin
Anime Geek

Post by joseishijin »

What can I say? I'm blinded by love. LOL! The movie just has a dark edge that I love. And did I mention Allen is hot in it? :wink:
weyrlady
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by weyrlady »

I guess I'm rare then, as I adore both the movie and the TV show. I'm able to accept that the movie is an AU to the TV show, and not meant to have the same characters/story/etc. Looked at on its own, I think the movie is just as brilliant as the TV show. ^_^

Unlike, say, Weiss Kreuz Gluhen, which is supposed to be a continuation of the original, but seems to have totally different characters.
Weyrlady
Frozen Moments - My Main Gallery!
http://www.dragonweyr.com/cels
Rubberslug Gallery (for the best of the best):
http://weyrlady.rubberslug.com
Keiti
Anime Geek

Post by Keiti »

So would it be odd to say I've watched the series in it's entirety a couple dozen times and the movie maybe 20 times? This isn't including the times I've scanned through the show to identify the exact timing where my cels can be found . I really adore both the show and the movie and feel they are each good in their own way.
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

not weird that you've seen it that much.

dont even wanna get you started on gluhen, weyr.
weyrlady
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by weyrlady »

Keiti wrote:So would it be odd to say I've watched the series in it's entirety a couple dozen times and the movie maybe 20 times? This isn't including the times I've scanned through the show to identify the exact timing where my cels can be found . I really adore both the show and the movie and feel they are each good in their own way.
*blinkblinks* Hey, you're here! Welcome to Beta, Keiti. ^___^ I hope you stick around, it's a fun place.

Kira- I'm not going to "get started on it", I was just providing an example of a different series that added on to the original show in a different way.
Weyrlady
Frozen Moments - My Main Gallery!
http://www.dragonweyr.com/cels
Rubberslug Gallery (for the best of the best):
http://weyrlady.rubberslug.com
kira
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by kira »

ah, ok, weyr.
Keiti
Anime Geek

Post by Keiti »

weyrlady wrote:[
*blinkblinks* Hey, you're here! Welcome to Beta, Keiti. ^___^ I hope you stick around, it's a fun place.
Thanks, I believe I shall :)

Especially if (what has been referred to by a friend) my "unhealthy obsession" with a show is found to be perfectly acceptable here!! 8)
It's bad- I have all these discs sitting around in my backlog and instead of watching them, I will go and pop Esca back into my player :sweatdrop
Cashtration: The act of buying the dream cel, which renders the subject financially impotent for an indefinite period.
tenchi_anime
Anime Geek

All

Post by tenchi_anime »

Hi

I have seen all of the series of Escaflowne and i thought it was really good.
Xelloss
Kishin - Fierce God

Post by Xelloss »

I've seen both... liked the series, didn't like the movie. Unfortunately, that isn't a valid poll option ^^;;;

- Karen
Wendy
Himajin - Get A Life

Post by Wendy »

I've seen both too..and loved both!! I adore both styles :love2

I'm glad the movie is different from the TV series, this way I can enjoy two different styles/stories with those wonderful characters.

What's the point of the movie being completely the same as the TV series? Then you might just as well watch the TV series again :?